Monday, November 9, 2009

We Don't Build Big Fences Around Here

Although they do come in handy for hanging clothes to dry in the summer sun, we're not that into fences in Nova Scotia. It might seem like a small thing, but fences can somehow throw barriers in the way of a happy neighbourhood.

This summer we had new neighbours move in behind and slightly up from us. They arrived from Ottawa. A week after moving in, we noticed yellow construction ribbon going around their property. This included the lovely copse of woods that provides a home for moles, voles, mice, raccoons and the odd deer...and of course, a mystical land for the children of the neighbourhood.

The next day the new lady of the house knocked on our door. She wanted permission for a work crew to come through our yard to clear their piece of the back woods. I asked why the ribbon. "For a fence" she stated as if I was somewhat daft (on certain Saturday mornings this may be the case, but not that day.) I asked why a fence. Because that's what they do in Ottawa she replied. Everyone has a fence.

I heard some sounds from the back of the house. I asked her to follow me around the rear of the house. The summer sun was playing through the yards, lawnmowers buzzing, the warm day inviting laziness with open arms. As we came around the back, I said to her "watch for a minute, and listen." She gave me evils with her eyes, parked her fists on her hips, pursed her lips and cocked an ear.

In moments a parade of kids came barreling through the woods, dashing in and out of the backyards of the houses, gales of laughter and peels of squeals, arms and legs akimbo. Her children were among them, their ages from five to twelve. Boys and girls. We parents simply didn't exist in their magical trance.

She looked at me a moment. I said, "Imagine the games your children might miss, behind a fence." And I tried a big smile. She looked at me a moment, then asked if the crew could still come in to clean, after all she said, she didn't want to children to hurt themselves on some of the tree fall.

Later that afternoon the yellow tape came down. No fence has gone up. I think the kids have discovered where the forest fairy's live, where a troll is supposedly hiding and the racoons go in winter...but no castle walls to keep laughter out.

Image: Mahones on flickr

2 comments: